Wouldn’t you like to create a unique kitchen backsplash? Do you think this will cost you a fortune? Not a bit – provided that you bother to devote some time and effort, as well as to find an unusual, yet affordable finishing material.
Like old CDs, for example. Surprised? It’s an excellent solution for modern kitchens, especially those in hi-tech style. Usual ceramic tiles look dull and featureless in high-tech interiors, while metal tiles and panels that perfectly fit the interior are quite expensive. So, take a sufficient amount of old CDs and cut them in pieces of various sizes and shapes. Then apply some glue on each piece and stick on the prepared wall in a random order to make a unique composition. Allow the glue to dry and wipe the surface with a soft sponge to remove the dust. Then use a usual tile grout to fill all gaps between pieces with the help of a rubber putty knife. When the grout is dry, wipe the surface carefully once again – your vibrant iridescent kitchen backsplash is ready! To protect it from scratches in use, you can additionally install transparent heat-strengthened glass.
Looks quite simple? Then get more ideas for DIY backsplashes:
- You can use wine corks to add style to classic kitchens;
- Pebbles help the increating eco-environment;
- A composition from fragments of ceramic tableware gives a new feel to country-style kitchens.
If you are too busy making a mosaic pattern from CD or plate pieces, use ready-made mosaic tiles for your backsplash design. Mosaic backsplash tiles are known for their multiple design options varying in material, size, shape, and color, but still, there is more room for creativity. In particular, there are many opportunities to combine mosaic tiles with other finishing materials to create bright accents and satisfy functional zoning objectives. Moreover, mosaic tiles are unique due to their flexibility, which allows using mosaic to face complex geometry surfaces like niches, arches, and so on.
- Add mosaic tiles made of small pieces to ceramic tiles of a large scale. This is a great way to underline your kitchen backsplash’s focal point with a mosaic pattern while combining both types of tiles in shape or color. You can achieve a more dramatic look by playing with both contrast scales and colors – e.g., use large white rectangular tiles with a black rectangular mosaic of small size.
- Combine tiles of neutral color with vivid mosaic colors. You can use both unicolored bright mosaic tiles and a multi-colored mosaic to create the desired look. For instance, use vibrant color in the middle of your backsplash and allow neutral tones to create a frame.
- Couple matte and shiny styles in one design to emphasize zoning. It’s not necessary to select the tiles from one collection – just make sure that your matte and glossy tiles match in shape, size, and color.
Yes, natural wood looks great, but it doesn’t seem to be suitable for a kitchen backsplash – wood doesn’t like water and heat, as well as it tends to absorb grease and dirt. But there is special wood treatment, improving its service properties, and nothing can change the fact that the natural beauty of wood is just perfect for classic and country styles. So, let’s dig into the woody options:
- The most luxurious choice is to install a solid hardwood like oak, cedar, yew, and so on. It is expensive, but it pays, and your backsplash is sure to differ greatly from standard solutions.
- More designs are available when using wood planks installed vertically, horizontally, or in a herringbone pattern – this is an excellent opportunity to change the kitchen space visually.
- A combination of natural wood panels and wood grain tiles gives a chance to decorate dangerous zones of your backsplash using the temperature-resistant material while retaining a unique feel of a wooden surface.
- Veneered medium-density fiberboard is more affordable than solid wood and looks quite respectable, unusual, and stylish.
It’s not necessary to reinvent the wheel trying to find new options of decorating kitchen backsplashes creatively, as designers have already presented their striking collections of tiles made of quite unusual materials.
What do you think of a container tile collection by John Whitmarsh? Yes, the tile is really cut out of shipping containers! It’s an exciting idea for contemporary kitchens, adding them an industrial look along with bright colors and some touch of fun. In fact, the designer also created several collections of concrete and cement tiles featuring unhackneyed textures.
Art of Board generated another creative solution with a glance at modern recycling trends. It created a collection of tiles made of reclaimed skateboard wood, retaining features such as bright colors, graffiti patterns, and even scrapes. If you want to make your kitchen interior more vibrant and crispy, search for these new materials rather than usual ceramic tile.
Are you sick and tired of all these traditional tile patterns? Then find out about fresh trends in tile design!
- Patchwork pattern is made of tiles with various ornaments, which are combined by matching colors. The color may be both vivid and soft, but in any case, the diversity of patterns attracts attention and provides a stunning effect.
- Decorate a backsplash with multiple stripes of rectangular tiles, which feature different colors and even different patterns. For example, alternate a row of black rectangles with white and then red tiles – the main idea is to use colors and patterns that are repeated in the interior design.
- Add texture to your kitchen space using architectural tiles with tridimensional elements – several collections from different manufacturers are available for various styles.
- Zigzag patterns make a design more dynamic and eye-catching. You can use tiles with this pattern or install small rectangular tiles in a zigzaggy way – both solutions are just great for a creative backsplash design.
- Create a chalkboard wall in your kitchen by painting the backsplash area. Blackboard paint is available in multiple options so that you can choose the best for your style. It’s creative as you can come up with new pictures every day, and it helps leave massages and write down recipes.